Monday, November 06, 2006

The Evolution of a Developer

I've written nearly 2.5M lines of code in my life.

From BASIC, via 6510 assembly code, lots of C, some C++, lots of Java, PHP.

I never took off with C++ because machines and I were already thinking to much alike.

Java changed that since it was a highly disciplined environment but yet equipped with everything you can possibly need (threading, syncing) . This was absolutely lacking in, at the time, C/C++ platforms

The discipline moment in Java prevented me from making simple mistakes all around, and that was absolutely important for writing big systems. I fully utilized that and wrote some large compact applications with surprisingly small amount of bugs. They were great.


Finally, I adopted scripting (PHP in my case) because computing power got much cheaper (it's actually not an issue anymore). On the other hand development price raised into skies because market forces you to be fast as hell. Unlike java, PHP cannot be used to develop complex integrated software but yet everything is supported through lots of libraries. A scripting language of no hassle, easy to quickly build-up something within a second.


Now, you must be expecting me to conclude this by giving a final mark or rank list of all these languages.

No.

That's absolutely not what I've discovered for these 15 years of writing code.

It was something else which made actual sense:

*Smart people create products, smarter people sell them*


Cheers.


P.S. coding is absolutely important, only before you type the first character, think how it'll make money. That's where the *real fun is.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Money isnt everything.

Anonymous said...

This post just hit DIGG.com

Expect 4 billion comments.

Congrats. Good post.

Anonymous said...

>> Money isn't everything.

Would you like to put money on that?

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head. Way too many programmers code something because it's cool and not because there's actually a need. The sheer volume of open source applications that are out there collecting dust astound me, I can't imagine it's a very fulfilling feeling for the people who worked on them. By the way I wrote a post along the same lines a few days back that you might find interesting: http://www.jasonkolb.com/weblog/2006/10/the_holy_grail_.html

Synthesilica said...

I think you should have stuck to C++ over Java. Programmers in the open source community are better and yet don't get paid as much and yet continue what they're doing because they see it as an art instead of work.

Anonymous said...

My life is all about writing software.

Poor boy!

dirq said...

"think about the user" along with "don't make me think" are my mottos. Making things that will actually be used is a lot more rewarding than trying to make something neat (unless its an art project but that's a different story).

Anonymous said...

Stopping to think about, "will this make money?" kills innovation. Your thinking is on par with the Microsoft way. Don't create, don't innovate, just make money.

Anonymous said...

If I understand properly, Stallman, the inventor of C and UNIX is a total idiot??? That's where you should have put your thoguhts instead of thinking moneywise! These two "products" do indeed generate a rather large amount of money, but I'm pretty sure that's not what this guy had in mind in the first place!

ivko said...

You can't really prove that you have something valuable until you convince people to hand you money (or power) in return.

I love the comments but I must
notice that some people here mix "cool" and "innovation".

You dont get paid for "cool", only for "useful". But if you innovate in "useful", then you earn tons of money (adwords,adsense).

for instance:
Microsoft = useful
Google = useful+innovation

notice that
open_source != free, just open source

SnoopDougieDoug said...

Stallman invented neither C nor Unix. You might be thinking of Dennis Ritchie. Stallman is emacs and GNU.